Sunday, March 27, 2016

Pulling it all Together

I've figured my thinking has delayed the progression of this project long enough and I'm beginning to grow frustrated with my indecisiveness. After having spoken to a couple of my peers and surveying their progress, I've become a bit anxious to start tying things together and finally come up with a cohesive story. I've also noticed that the way I go about discussing my work has been completely vague and unspecified, and for that I apologize. It's only fair that I do my best to convey what exactly I have in mind and my theory behind my indecisiveness.

It's come to my attention that I've tried a bit too hard to create my story based off of my own personal response to Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake. I've tried hard enough not to entirely emulate the novel, but I keep looking for ways to incorporate similar elements to a story that in reality can be very malleable, depending on how I approach it. Therefore, after some more brainstorming, I've come up with this alternative idea:
  • Rather than taking the perspective of a young child, I've switched towards wanting to capture the mindset of an adolescent.
    • My main character will be a teenage girl, a Korean student soon to enroll at a reputable school in the states to pursue a degree in medicine. She will be played by Jane Kang.
    • She holds strong ties to her roots and takes pride in her family's customs, thus making her somewhat uneasy and hesitant to start on her own journey away from home.
  • The main character has a close, intimate attachment to her younger sibling who in the film opening will be played by Jane's younger sister. 
    • The opening sequence will focus on the main character's relationship to her family and home, primarily her bond with her younger sister, and how this goes against her will to continue her education in the states.
  • To tie it all together, the opening will take place on the night before Jane's character leaves for her flight to California. She sits alone in her room silently skimming through her biology textbook while unconsciously contemplating fear and anxiety. Next to her textbook is a brochure for the school she plans to attend, or possibly the city in which her school resides. She's interrupted by her younger sister who quickly enters the room, expressing her own thoughts and emotions on her older sister's departure, resulting in an intimate interaction between the two. Jane's character appears exhausted and mildly depressed and decides to go to sleep early to put her mind to rest. The sequence ends there as the light on Jane's nightstand fades to black, resulting in a subtle transition into the next day.
I figured this seems more elaborate and thus easier for others to follow, giving me a solid foundation for the second draft of my story-board. This, I consider the beginning of the process. I've safely landed on a more defined idea and I've begun to construct my vision through my story-board, which is what I will specifically focus on in my next post. Relieved to say that I'm beginning to make up some ground. I think it's worth citing a couple links I visited that inspired me to think differently on what route I wanted to take when building upon my story. Nothing pivotal, just a couple different perspectives that got me thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment