Thursday, March 17, 2016

Flashback Idea

"Flashbacks are a tool, a device, where the screenwriter provides the reader and audience with visual information that he or she cannot incorporate into the screenplay any other way. The purpose of the flashback is simple: it is a technique that bridges time, place and action to reveal information about the character, or move the story forward." - Syd Field
I've decided to take some time to research a couple techniques that I could incorporate into my opening sequence, and upon doing so, I've become very interested in the idea of a flashback. I though of the idea before, and I'm often told that when introducing new characters and emphasizing the significance of their role in the film, flashbacks are helpful way to convey that information to the audience.
Something that intrigues me about Syd Field's article from Writers Store is her reasoning behind the use of the flashback and how she explains it as a way to "bridge information." Though it provides a lot of insight and clarity on the topic, I'm still worried that it wouldn't exactly flow with the pace of my sequence, especially if I want to do something more quick and casual when introducing my characters. I must say, I have to seriously get started on story-boarding if I want to finally determine whether or not a flashback would be necessary, but nevertheless, I'm keeping the idea in mind.
Here's a link to Field's article on flashbacks: 

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! Ok so first of all, I love the quote initiating this post; it adds a nice, personal touch. Your blog as a whole, however, is more geared towards the professional side. I think adding some personalization to it would really amplify the quality and make your blog more approachable. Research is a relatively prevalent aspect of your blog, however, expanding further upon your research and providing more references as opposed to saying "I've decided to take time to research...." would allow readers to feel more involved in this journey. I love your idea, but I think the plot should be explained a bit more extensively being that I am not exactly sure what the exact story of your film is. Also, you should cite your sources instead of merely providing the links (i actually think this is a requirement) Overall, your blog is extremely well-written and cohesive and I am excited to see your final product!! :)

    ReplyDelete