Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Possible Casting

Having been away for a while, I was able to get in contact with a couple friends from school to discuss my idea. I received some encouraging comments of approval, but most importantly, I was lucky enough to land some potential roles.

Sarah Suhood, a longtime friend of mine, spoke to me briefly about my idea and considered taking the role of a character in my opening sequence after I kindly asked for her assistance. Though I wouldn't limit myself to the actual race and ethnicities of those willing to help me, it goes without saying that my actors' and actress' backgrounds could be a big plus if I plan to be so fastidious to align their appearence(s) with that of my envisioned characters. Granted, I knew coming into this project that asking for as much help as I needed was necessary if I planned to achieve anything that is beyond my control. Thus, I see no problem in wanting to put some more attention and detail onto the casting or simply being more selective if it helps with characterization. After all, Sarah comes from a Sri Lankan and Guatemalan household, putting me in a more comfortable position as to what exactly I'm looking for in terms of appearance. More on that later.

Sarah was also kind enough to recommend a few other potential cast members, one of which is Jane Kang. I thought offering Jane a spot in my opening sequence was both a win for me in terms of casting and acquiring the most knowledgeable approach, as Jane is one of the few people in my circle of friends whose read The Namesake. Aside, Jane provides an interesting perspective given her Korean background. Her and I had a talk about my sequence and how I planned to incorporate certain themes and elements of the novel. I must say, having Jane and Sarah on board will add a lot more confidence to my approach is a narrow down my ideas for characters and finally begin to storyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment